About Kin + Carta
At Kin + Carta Create we believe growth is built, not theorised. We’re makers, builders and creators. We come to work every day to build experiences that customers will love and technologies that businesses will thrive on.
Our approach is simple: Accelerate idea-to-value by striking the ideal balance of human-centred design, Agile engineering and the realities of affecting change at scale. Combining product development, service design and cloud modernisation, we take a hands-on approach to transforming our clients’ businesses. We’re headquartered in London and have offices in Chicago, New York, Edinburgh, Amsterdam and Buenos Aires.
Our ambition is to create a diverse, nurturing environment that allows every member of our team to express themselves through the creative work that they do.
About our Design team
As part of the team you'll be working on products and services for some of the world’s most influential companies. Our designers, from UX Researchers through to Product Designers work in dedicated project teams. Anyone who has worked at a startup or in a product company will feel right at home. We are involved from planning through to execution, and being an advocate for the user at every step of the way. You'll help the project team to make informed design decisions, placing the needs of the user at the centre of every piece of work whilst balancing the needs of the business.
- You're a great communicator and story-teller.
- You enjoy working in a collaborative team.
- You respond well to change and thrive in an innovative environment.
- You're passionate about your craft and you're confident in sharing your knowledge with a wide audience.
About the role
As a Lead Experience Designer you will provide guidance to teams and push all our designers to produce work of exceptional quality that they are proud of. You'll be ambitious and passionate about UX Research and have an overall understanding of all the design roles in product development. You’ll shape our approach by strategically developing and scaling the Design team to enable great work.
You will be the key point of contact for any project issues, helping to guide client decisions.
Reporting to the Head of Design you will be given the autonomy, visibility and opportunity to make your mark on how we solve complex design briefs, whilst also remaining hands-on across projects at Kin + Carta.
You will apply, and mentor others in, best practice in facilitating research interviews, usability tests and client workshops. You will plan ongoing user research programmes and define information architecture and interaction design solutions.
You will aim to continually improve the user experience and aid the user in achieving their primary outcomes simply, while always thinking about how to add delight. As a result you build trust with your clients.
You enjoy engaging with users and project partners to understand the product’s context, and synthesise your findings into easily-digestible and memorable formats for the product team
Designers at Kin + Carta are:
- Collaborative and ego-free, able to give and receive feedback to and from all team members regardless of role or level.
- Designing, prototyping and building products used by people every day.
- Confident using Sketch or Figma, Keynote, Adobe CC suite and a variety of prototyping tools or happy to learn the ones they don’t know.
- Client-facing, taking an active role in the presentation of the team's latest design work.
- Inquisitive and eager to continuously improve and learn.
- Enthusiastic about agile methodologies, and software development practices.
- Actively involved in growing the design team by finding and attracting talent.
As a Lead Experience Designer at Kin + Carta you:
- Are a master of your craft, enabling the team to deliver on challenges that are new to them.
- Are the gatekeeper for the quality of the work and research produced by the Design team.
- Set the UX Research and Design agenda and help plan the cadence for the whole team.
- Coach other Experience Designers and researchers to rapidly progress their careers and support them in their contribution to Kin + Carta.
- Help plan the careers of team members, and guide individuals to reach senior level faster than they thought possible.
- Set the strategic agenda of the Design team with the Head of Design and other design leads.
- Consistently hold others on product teams to Kin + Carta standards.
- Bring others on the journey to establish new and innovative ways of working.
- Look at the bigger picture to give the client customer context for design decisions.
- Willing to accelerate K+C's design offering through working with our sales team in creating and delivering pitches
- Understand the needs of live and prospective projects, matching them with the right Design team skills.
- Use past experience and client knowledge to be the first to spot and resolve problems and blockers before they escalate.
- You are a key point of escalation for major product issues.
- Take on challenging conversations and situations to ensure the best possible product.
- Are industry-leading in your craft and can use this to attract and retain talent.
- Support the team to represent Kin + Carta through their participation in talks, events and conferences.
- Drive Kin + Carta’s strategic vision within Design by shaping the team's goals.
- Can articulate the business benefit and impact to our clients of the UX research and design that you lead.
- Understand the importance of data analytics in providing the right solution to product problems.
Applying for the role
Please share examples of your work as PDFs or online case studies with your application. We’re
interested in the activities you go through as you research, test and present your thinking and conclusions. For example; use of data, user and stakeholder interviews, workshops, sketches, concepts, flows, experience maps, prototypes etc. ‘Finished’ visual designs are not the focus here. All supplied examples will be handled in complete confidence.
Kin + Carta Create believes in creating a culture where diversity, regardless of its form, is just a part of who we are. We empower every individual to share what matters to them, subsequently creating a culture where every person, regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status, is treated as a valued member of Kin + Carta